Sunday, July 12, 2009

Buggin' Out

Mr. NeverBored planted a lovely garden this year (i.e. I have brown thumbs) and we have been eating delicious fresh spinach for the past month or so. A couple batches in, I noticed some teeny tiny white specks on the underside of most of the spinach leaves. Trying not to be overly alarmed while thinking about how many of these we must have already eaten (and hoping we don't have caterpillars growing in our tummies), I started washing each delicate leaf by hand. ugh. This takes sooo much time. I have no idea what these white dots are or what to do about them. If anyone knows what kind of bug lays these, if they are harmful to eat, and/or how to get rid of them...I would appreciate a comment ;)

spinachbugs

4 comments:

  1. shellie.... love your blog !!

    personally the holes would not bother me but keep looking at the plant for infestaton. these are probably flea beetles.... but doesn't look like you have a serious problem at this point. but what do i know !!!! gigi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped by, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shellie:
    Since they are tiny and have been cooked (?); not worry. Hay, look at "Survivorman"! Ha ha! Anyway, if you Google veggie insects on Google, you may be grossed out, but may get some answers also; I'm sure you've already done this, right? Eating from your own garden is sooooooo healthy! Remember my cherry tomatoes in Tennessee and all those tomato based casseroles, etc.???

    ReplyDelete