Sunday, July 5, 2009

File Me ORGANIZED!

nblab_funfindsHa!ha! Not really. I have my own style of organizing and, to the outsider, it probably looks quite UNorganized. BUT! I do usually know where to find what I need. So, I guess whatever system I have come up with works for me.

I have a love for all things vintage, especially metal vintage things. Recently, I found a couple old metal files that I have not been able to put to good use...until today!

First up is a vintage card catalog file found at Re-Store for a couple bucks. It has been sitting in my office, under a pile of stuff, being neglected. Today, I started walking around the house and looking at things that needed to be changed [to make life a little easier AND more organized]. I was in the kitchen and noticed that Mr. NeverBored had, for the umpteenth time, hidden away my messy, disorganized menu holder. I admit, the cute wire basket didn't look very nice sitting on the counter, stuffed to the brim with tattered menus, but I always knew where to find the menus when I wanted them. I dug it out of the pantry and the idea hit....I could use that old card catalog file to NEATLY store all the menus! But what to put in the 2nd drawer? Another glance into the pantry and a glimpse at my messy recipe books provided the answer. I could transfer our recipes to index cards (yeah...just what I need...another project) and keep them all NEATLY in one place! So I made a couple labels for the drawers, dragged the file up to the kitchen, and decided on just the right place...

MenuRecipeFile

Now I know right where to find that awesome Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe so we can fill up the cookie jar!

nblab_newprojectNew project to add to the ever-growing To Do List...fun recipe card templates AND then transfer all the recipes to cards.

nblab_funfindsNext up, I found a vintage metal slide organizer for about $3 at Goodwill. Again, it had been sitting in my office waiting for inspiration to hit. This morning, I was in the bathroom getting dressed and trying to find something in my drawer. I have one drawer in the bathroom counter and it's stuffed full. I organized it very nicely a couple months ago, but somehow it just didn't stay that way. I will not take all the blame. I did try very hard to keep things neat, but with two little girls who love to rummage through my stuff...well, I don't think I need to spell it out. So, the lightbulb went off (the one over my head ;) and I decided to thin out, organize and re-home my makeup collection into the All-Metal Slide File and keep it out on the counter....

MakeupSlideFile1

Inside view...

MakeupSlideFile2 

Each drawer was divided into two sections and I found that some of the makeup wouldn't fit. In the top drawer, I bent down the middle divider and managed to make everything fit.

I LOVE finding new uses for old things!

2 comments:

  1. I find that my organizing stuff (whatever they be, boxes,files, etc.) becomes unorganized at times! But, like you, I am constantly organizing stuff. Like you, I love to organize and find things to organize with but still a pack rat, your Mom!

    Love you and LOVE this website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re-reading your blog today...you've inspired me to get my little closet sewing room more organized today; I've been dieting and have to stick to it, so I am trying to stay real busy and not get "blue" with time on my hands. I'll take a pic and send it to you when I get it fixed up!

    ReplyDelete