Monday, September 28, 2009

I'm hooked!

nblab_derbyAny of you who know me, know that I'm not much of a sports fan. I do enjoy attending the occasional sporting event in person, but am not all that interested in watching sports of any kind on TV and am not really overly fond of any team sport....until now. Roller Derby ROCKS! I can't believe that I've lived on this Earth some 40+ years and have never been to a Roller Derby Bout. I guess I just haven't been in the right places at the right times. I attended my first Bout this past weekend and LOVED it! We ventured to The Kill Floor in Greeley and watched the Slaughterhouse Derby Girls vs. Sioux City Roller Dames! Here I am enjoying a giant PBR while watching the Bout...

ShellPBR

I think drinking PBR during Roller Derby Bouts is required ;)

I was at this Bout because Thing 1 has joined Junior Roller Derby and her team, the Butcher Babes, was working...selling raffle tickets, helping at the concession stand, skating around letting other girls know about Jr. Roller Derby, etc. She was decked out in full derby gear and had a blast! Check out Toxic Neon rolling around the rink after the Bout:

SageDerby1

Here are Cha-Cha Crusher and Toxic Neon:

RaqSageDerby

Cute, huh? ;)

At the next Slaughterhouse Derby Girls Bout, the Butcher Babes may get to do a little scrimmage at half-time.

Also happening last Saturday was the Sneak Preview of Whip It! I really wanted to go see it, but seeing real Roller Derby was pretty awesome. So, I'll just wait until this weekend. In the mean time, I'm reading Derby Girl (the book the movie is based on). I looked up Roller Derby at our local library and this was the ONLY book they had on the subject. I'm only about halfway through, so I'll do a little review when I'm done. So far, I am enjoying it!

It has also been re-released in paperback with the title Whip It! 

I'm also watching trailers for Whip It!...

 

...and watching documentaries about Roller Derby. I watched this one late Saturday evening. There wasn't a lot of actual skating, but I really enjoyed getting a glimpse behind-the-scenes at the Austin League that brought Derby back and learn about the business side of things, as well as some of the politics.

 

...and looking up Derby names.

Next on my agenda is to figure out how to get my own skates (and protective gear, of course!) and see what this old gal can do on wheels!

1 comment:

  1. U go Roller Chick. Great exercise! Have fun!
    LU/Mom

    ReplyDelete